Monday, February 24, 2014

Woohoo! I Received the Dragon’s Loyalty Award

By M. J. Joachim
Updated 11/5/15


Thank you, Deanie, for honoring me with the Dragon’s Loyalty Award. I humbly accept this generous gift, bowing to your kindness with sincere appreciation.

Guidelines for receiving this award include displaying the award and thanking the person who nominated you, present the award to 15 bloggers with links to their blogs, visit those 15 bloggers to let them know you’re sharing the award with them and write seven interesting things about yourself in your blog post, when you accept the award.

Oh boy, seven things about me…can I start with the fact that I don’t like to talk about myself. This goes all the way back to childhood, folks. I’m simply not a center stage person. Oh, I’ve tried to face my fears about this through the years, often creating more laughs and tears than anything else.

Like the time I played in my first (and last) piano recital. You simply can’t imagine how hard I worked on A Time for Us. As the event drew near, I pleaded with my piano teacher, “Please, I’ll do anything. You simply can’t make me perform on stage.” This was every time I saw her, for weeks before the recital. She kept reminding me that I had mastered the piece. I kept telling her it wasn’t about playing. She didn’t get it, and when I took stage, I played the same first three notes over and over again, drawing a complete and total blank for the rest of the music. I was in fourth or fifth grade at the time, and it was positively devastating.

As I mentioned, I kept trying to conquer my fears about this through the years. When I was 17, I was in the Miss Teen Northern California Beauty Pageant. I was also a freshman in college at the time, a member of the San Jose City College Newspaper Staff. Talk about an opportunity to write, but that’s another story entirely.

Instead of talent competition, contestants were required to write and deliver speeches to the audience. You never saw anyone work so hard, driving everyone in my house crazy, as I spent weeks and months memorizing and practicing delivering my speech. The writing was the easy part, as I’m sure you may have realized.

Finally, the big night arrived. There I was taking center stage. I held my head high, took the deepest breath I could and delivered the most amazing speech of my life, complete with standing ovation from the audience. It was one of the most amazing feelings in my life, as I looked out and saw hundreds of people standing and cheering, after I delivered my speech all about trying, meeting your fears head on and never giving up, when something matters and is important to you.

These two stories include seven things about me, so I’ll move on now and nominate the following fabulous bloggers to receive this award, except I’m going to bend the rules a bit. I’m going to nominate a few special blog groups instead.

I’m going to nominate novice writers and bloggers, people new to this world of Internet writing, who need good, solid support in their journeys. I’m going to nominate storytellers, poets and script writers, people who work so hard at their crafts because they have to, and without this work, they would cease to be themselves.

I know that’s way more than 15 bloggers, all deserving of more than a little extra writing support and love. Thanks again for sharing this award with me, Deanie. It’s fun remembering when. It’s even better bragging about some truly amazing artists, our peers who need and love to write, people who give us food for thought, help us consider new perspectives and enlighten our worlds because they can’t stop typing and writing.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved