Thursday, February 27, 2014

Blogging 101 Pet Peeves According to Moi

By M. J. Joachim


Captcha: In all the years I’ve been blogging, I’ve never figured out how adding, often unreadable code, before letting people comment on a post, improves security. From a blogger perspective, it seems like a deterrent for visitors, making them skip the commenting process altogether. From a commenter perspective, it simply drives me crazy.

I’m nice enough about it, especially for new bloggers, or bloggers who don’t have very many followers. I’ll take the time, entering those blurry letters and digits more than once, for at least a little while and a few visits. After that, however, my time becomes just as valuable as yours. Once I know you’ve taken time to comment on my blog, and are probably doing some blog hopping of your own, I know you’ve seen how many blogs don’t have captcha and don’t seem to be suffering by not tormenting their commenters with it. 

Blogging is about community, and if bloggers are too insecure to make it easy for others to comment on their posts, maybe they just don’t want to get that many comments. Maybe they’re just not as sociable as the rest of the bloggers out there, who don’t seem to need those silly captcha boxes. If only the captcha boxes were eliminated completely.

Redirecting Links: I’m all for clicking on recommended links in any blog post. What I don’t like is getting taken to another page completely, when I want to stay on the page I’m reading. It’s wonderful to open a new window and add to the information I’m already reading. It’s not so wonderful to have to hit the back button, once, twice, numerous times…to try to find the original page I was on, and then find the spot where I left off.

I’m less inclined to let this get to me too much, as I know sometimes computers have a mind of their own, and blog platforms don’t always work the way we want them to. However, it’s truly not that hard to click on the “Open in another window” when you’re inserting a link into a post, and it truly does make it easier on the reader. Not to mention, it keeps the visitor on your blog, which gives them more opportunity to explore what you’ve written.

Do you agree with my blogging 101 pet peeves, or do you have a few of your own? Please share them in the comments and lets see what we can do to raise awareness in the blogosphere. We’re all in this together, after all – speaking of which, have you signed up for the A – Z Challenge yet? It’s going to be here before you know it, and if you want more exposure for your blog, this is one of the easiest ways to get it that I know of.

Thanks again for stopping by and commenting. Wishing you every success with your blogging.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved
Photo credit: Charmaine Clancy